What a Bone Density Test Can Do
A bone density test, called DXA (Dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry) quantifies if you have normal bone density, Osteopenia (low bone density) or Osteoporosis (porous bones). It is the only test that can diagnose osteoporosis. The lower your bone density, the greater your risk of fracturing a bone. A bone density test can help you and your healthcare provider:
- learn if you have weak bones or osteoporosis before you fracture a bone
- predict your chance of fracturing a bone in the future
- see if your density is improving, getting worse or staying the same
- find out how well an osteoporosis medicine is working
- let you know if you have osteoporosis after you fracture a bone
Who should have a Bone Density Test?
Certain people are more likely than others to develop osteoporosis and fractures bones. Factors that increase the likelihood of developing osteoporosis are called “risk factors.” The more risk factors you have, the more likely you are to fracture a bone. These risk factors include many of the medicines and medical conditions that cause bone loss.
The National Osteoporosis Foundation (NOF) recommends that you have a bone density test if:
- you are a woman age 65 or older
- you are a man age 70 or older
- you fracture a bone after age 50
- you are a woman of menopausal age with risk factors
- you are a man age 50-69 with risk factors
A bone density test may also be necessary if you have any of the following:
- an X-ray of your spine showing a fracture or bone loss in your spine
- back pain with a fracture in your spine
- height loss of ½ inch or more within one year
- total height loss of 1½ inches from your original height
Copyright 2010 NOF National Osteoporosis Foundation
The Women’s Imaging Center is proud to announce we have added 3D Tomosynthesis Mammography at our Denver/Cherry Creek location. Our other locations in Lakewood, Highlands Ranch and Westminster all use the highest rated digital mammography systems, Hologic Dimensions and Selenia. Our main scheduling number remains 303-321-CARE (2273) for all four of our locations. The Women’s Imaging Center is committed to providing individualized, innovative, state-of-the-art healthcare to women.
The Women’s Imaging Center uses highest rated digital mammography systems made by Hologic Dimensions and Selenia. We offer breast mammography, ultrasound and other imaging services in Denver (Cherry Creek), Lakewood, Highlands Ranch and Westminster.
Call 303-321-CARE (2273) to schedule an appointment or make an on-line appointment request.
The Women’s Imaging Center is committed to providing individualized, innovative, state-of-the-art healthcare to women.